40acts is a campaign from Stewardship that encourages you to do Lent generously.
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 simple acts.
Lent is usually about ‘giving stuff up’, isn’t it? What if you could add something transformational to the traditional?
What if you could give up chocolate and give the money to your favourite charity? What if you could turn the TV off and spend more time helping your neighbour? What if your Lent, this year, was a preparation for a lifetime of big-heartedness?
When Lent begins on 22 February, you’ll be able to go to http://www.40acts.org.uk and pick’n’mix from a choice of 40 simple, generous, actions. Whether you’d like to ‘Buy more fairtrade’, ‘Make a cake’ or ‘Say thank you’, you’ll be given 40 nudges in a generous direction. And when you’ve done it – you can let the world know by clicking on the ‘I’ve done it!’ button!
The 40acts blog will feature daily contributions from likes of Nicky Gumbel (Alpha course), Rob Parsons (Care for the Family), Andy Frost (Share Jesus International), Andrea Boden (Romance Academy), Ram Gidoomal (South Asian Concern), the Bishop of Bangor and errr…me!
- Join 40acts on Facebook. Upload your photos, post ideas, stories and encouragement connect and share with others on the 40acts journey. More of a Twitter fan? Well, you can find them there too.
- Take the pledge. Scribble your challenge onto a 40acts pledge and stick it on your fridge or, if you’re feeling brave, share it with the world on Facebook?
- 40acts your profile – Change your Facebook or Twitter profile picture to one of the colourful 40acts tags, and tell your social networks about your challenge.
- Get the kids involved! Generosity isn’t just an adult thing. In fact, some of the most incredible acts of kindness come from children. So we’ve created 40acts for Kids. Print off and follow our 40acts for Kids wall chart, with daily generous actions created just for them.
- Share. If every person who signed up for 40acts last year told just five people about it, there would be approximately 12,000 people completing over 480,000 acts of generosity during Lent. Help them spread the word by downloading the simple presentation pack – to share with your church, school or workplace.